How to Reduce The Missed Blood Test Errors with Lab me analytics
September 24, 2018
September 24, 2018
How to Reduce The Missed Blood Test Errors with Lab me analytics
In Union Budget 2018-19, the expectations for healthcare union include advanced technology, health programmes, investment and public-private partnership. Along with it, diagnostics is an industry which has come out as a major break point in the healthcare industry. Hence, there are other issues in healthcare sector which should be addressed even though it has relief from the blood test errors or missed results of the laboratories.
Fig: Lab me test Results vs Molecular Testing
Due to absence of proper regulation and lack of directives in the diagnostics market, there are different individual private players which play a vital role in this uncertain market.
The private players have volunteered eagerly to bring standardized practice and go through the same conventions set by global medical bodies to guarantee the best and steady services for all the customers.
The Need of Lab Test Software
According to estimates, only 1% of all diagnostic labs are accredited. With an effect from a diagnostics point of view, one has supported requirement for regulated, standardized diagnostics industry and admired the efforts of government in this direction.
As a result, it is important for the government to assign allocations every year to have an autonomous body to control the quality of services. Better primary healthcare centers are very important to help reduce the burden on tertiary and secondary healthcare clinics.
It seems the government and regulatory bodies are focusing more on the investment on preventive and primitive measures on healthcare. By investing more on diagnostics, healthcare industry can spread early diagnosis of a disease which can reduce delay on treatment, loss of productivity, and need for tertiary care.
The private healthcare system is very effective to deal with the patient burden coming from public healthcare. It has helped a lot of health insurance plans.
However, the fact is that complete and proper coverage for a lot of diseases and services are elusive. Invasive and curative interventions like in-patient care and surgeries, which are covering by public health insurance.
The lack of coverage for pre-existing disease and outpatient care is a hurdle to affordable and complete health insurance coverage. Hence, the growing emergence of investment in diagnostics is leading to the growth of lab report management systems in many healthcare institutions.
The Emergence of Early Diagnosis with Lab Test Management
A lot of researches have been done on test result management over the years in outpatient settings. Case studies have been conducted by many researchers. The report includes why, where, how many, at what conditions, and what kinds of lab test results those are missing. We are analyzing what could happen due to delay or missing test results.
These authors focused on the recent methods to deal with blood test errors and ensured the satisfaction of clinical personnel with such methods. In addition, they also asked physicians to suggest the right solution to a problem.
Lab me Analysis to Identify Problems
Prior research reports a lot of details regarding the growing importance and problems of timely results of tests in primary care. Hence, one might expect the tools for electronic blood test result management to be available widely to support medical staff in the clinical process. According to studies, different institutes have different ways to handle test results.
So, there is no specific way. On the design of test result evaluation and management of the use of them in the laboratory software, further research could bring more benefits.
Fig: Lab Test Results with the Right Lab.me Software
There are three ideas on how this software can help reduce missed laboratory results. There is a growing need for a system which helps clinical staff to keep track on lab tests from an order of reports to action completion.
We aim to define the temporal responsibilities of the agent with innovative workflow management model, provide retrospective analyses which can detect common issues in past orders, and generate an interface on the basis of that model (something which could be integrated with existing EHR systems).
About Issues on Test Report Management
Researchers have conducted a lot of case studies to report analysis on how quest lab results of patients missed by the healthcare providers who ordered them.
With the growing needs of timely results of tests in an outpatient setting, there is limited electronic versions’ discussion on test result management systems to help medical and clinical staff with this process.
There are three ideas that can help reduce analytical errors in the clinical laboratory with a tracking system to facilitate from order to completion along with follow-up –
- Define a model of workflow management which clarifies agents who are responsible along with a time frame.
- Generate user interface to perform tracking which could integrate eventually in existing EHR systems.
- To help detect problems in orders with defined analysis.
According to findings by the 2002’s National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, general internists and family doctors prescribe lab tests in 29% to 38% of cases on an average as well as imaging in 10% to 12% of cases. In an internal medical practice, a doctor reviews an average of 930 hematology/chemistry tests and 60 radiology/pathology reports every week.
The Diagnostic or Screening
These tests are conducted for diagnostic or screening purposes, or to monitor and manage medications and/or chronic health issues. Even though a couple of tests are conducted in the office when patients wait, a lot of patients are sent to outer locations on their samples, including hospitals or typical testing facilities. One can avail the results during an office visit or take weeks to get the report and without a similar format.
It goes without saying that different types and numbers of tests, different locations for testing, and variable processes of reporting would cause blood test errors and delays.
About The Study
According to survey, for around 83% of primary care doctors in a study, at least one delay has been found when reviewing test reports over the last two months. Poor results management can be harmful to the patients and it actually did so.
Hickner and his colleagues conducted a study which suggests the adverse effects of post analytical errors in clinical laboratory. It includes 22% of loss of money and time, 24% delay in care, 11% in pain and suffering, and 2% in adverse clinical consequences.
Another report suggests an improper follow-up to be one of the rapidly growing areas of litigation of malpractice in outpatient care. As a result, it impacts the effectiveness and efficiency of patient safety, treatment, and overall peace of mind.
Lack of effort is not the cause which results in loss of test results by many physicians and institutions. A lot of time is spent in managing and searching the blood test errors and reports.
In fact, testing becomes prone to error due to a separation of the lab from a location of the clinic, the complexity of the process, lack of quality control in the outpatient setting, and variations in reporting.
The User Interfaces for Test Process Tracking
According to Wahls & Cram, there are no standards on how to manage test results at their best. Yackel et al. analyzed the existing information systems which are used to track and they have found that there was logic and user interface blood test errors in doctor’s records, results in routing, system maintenance and setting interfaces.
Studies are also revealing what features laboratory information management system software should have. It is one of the best-rated features of a medical laboratory reporting software.
Doctors have to acknowledge all of the results with in-box function in pathology report software. Abnormal reports should be shown before normal ones and the integrated review prompts should help a doctor decide further action.
These are some of the most desired functions about the prioritization of lab results to avoid medical laboratory errors and provide the best output in less time.
Defining Temporal Responsibility
It is also recommended by doctors to track their orders for completion, including a warning system to figure out whether tests order is complete or not. Finally, the delegation of responsibility is require by the physicians to other staff.
They desire a capability of forwarding to enable using surrogates during absences that are planning along with a regular process to assign proxies when they are not available.
- After a user-centric approach of iterative evaluation and design, we are working with clinicians regularly to get feedback on the prototype of the interface. Also, working on overall design principles.
- In seven different cases, over a dozen physicians offering feedback for a total of around 8 hours of discussions and review over the past five months.
- These were structured as a sample of presentation or prototype to a group of knowledgeable individuals. So let’s discuss what experts have to say and conduct evaluations further as prototype improves.
- We will conduct the integration of such features in commercial products in order to present the value of those strategies.
- All of the experts approved the concept of having an explicit model of workflow to estimate the lab test duration expected and the notion of explicit agents.
The Improvements and Testing
- They need improvements to the model to capture constant testing, including the blood sample collection each week for 2 months. Reflex tests were another recommendation, where one test can lead to another test automatically.
- Along with it, abnormal results could take a longer time to process sometimes. We are discussing, how results will go without processing at the same pace every weekday. For process steps, potential actions were some of the ideas about one of the samples.
- There are a lot of recommendations on the generation of user interface. Terms that are used on screens are updated frequently on the basis of comments from the medical team.
- There are modifications to the interface, including removing or adding functionality to clarify its intended use.
- We are assigning a manager in a model which gets notifications and the contact details. The manager must display the role of a responsible person as a tool-tip.
- We are adding a table to the system for planning and orders to conduct testing in future (including 3 years from now).
About the concept
The concept of Lab me analysis is appreciated well and found helpful to quantify the common problems instantly. It is expecting from experts to figure out the precision of results.
A lot of domain experts showing interest to get more useful information and data to track and analyze it. Having quality attributes on the model was an interesting proposal in order to calculate some metrics to analyze later.
Lab Information Management
Paper charts and other traditional methods are still used by clinical staff to review their lab results. A lot of reports simply suggests alternatives for general purpose, including checklists or logbooks instead of application. For tracking tests, Lab.me Analytics is the most advanced lab reporting software app. The design of the app is to analyze the blood test errors and the work reports for patient.
They key factors of why use Lab.me analytics:
- Users can see all closed and open visits, flag and add reports to watch lists.
- Hematology, chemistry, pathology and radiology tests are the only types of tests that are supported. The modification of current tests or new tests is not supported.
- There are three degrees of abnormality, including abnormal, critical and normal.
- Physicians may add visit note, acknowledge result, or generate letters of patient result.
- This tool has an interface where the user needs to switch between Manager Screen. The patient charts and all visits are listing where the details of results are.
- Even though clinic staff may mark reminders and results for follow-up tests in the future, but health care provider should take the follow-up decisions.
- The digitally interpretative clinical languages are well received over the recent years. Also the different languages are developed along with the ones which can execute by machine intelligence.
- The tool supports editing and authoring along with enactment. A medical guideline is there as per the guiding criteria and decisions about management, diagnosis, and cure.
The Future of Lab Test Interpretation
We are aiming to reduce the missing lab results in the analytical phase of laboratory testing by establishing a workflow model. The model which defines responsibility in the management of test results.
We are describing how to implement prototype interface for tracking of the test process to diagnose the issues.
- The prioritization of abnormality and lateness, as well as support for follow-up on the same screen, may improve efficiency.
- We are aiming to develop more than just a working system to provide inspiration prototype. Also, it can allow developers of proprietary and commercial management tools to implement their own ideas.
- Initially, we are focusing more on ambulatory care but future work is going to test how this particular model works.
- The model can work on hospital settings between several providers who are going to take care of the patient.
- With a usability study, we are more inclined towards sampling for the developers and adoption. Such kinds of principles, which could subject to ethnographic, usability, data logging or controlling.
- We are collecting feedback from clinical staff to filter analysis of what is important for a complete interface.
- The improvement of the interface is to make way for saving/setting controls. We are also showing options for various users through preferences dialog.
- Our main focus is on the design options. Also working for analysis which indicates the severity of matters along with the facts.
What Is The Improvement
This software can improve the delay in computations. If a test is late, it is basically the matter of discussion. One could admit that it is just need to report that the test is conducting late. In events when all of the steps are taking early to cover the delay of a facility/individual would overlook.
Should physicians propose only a standard definition or user options to be provided to examine lateness?
Lab Analytics can be the Saviors
According to the Institute of Medicine, over $750 billion was spent in a single year on unnecessary healthcare solutions. Unwanted medical tests are a major part of the expense. They cost around $1.7 million in an American hospital on average in 2009.
The huge volume of results and orders which go through medical lab software can make it an important place to avoid waste and identify it.
For example, it can flag old tests and highlight tests which were not good for the condition. When a recent survey indicates that unnecessary testing is a huge problem, overuse is the most pressing matter.
However, underutilization is even more important for safety and patient care, when unwanted tests can increase cost of healthcare system. A missing test could also cost thousands of dollars daily if inpatient stays in hospitals.
Why Lab.me Analytics?
- This data analytics solution can interpret a huge amount of information on your blood test error report. It goes through the lab, along with demographic information of the patient and their history.
- They present very useful evidence which is important to determine. The important clinical questions regarding the value of a test and can also illuminate differences among the doctors.
- This lab test software using machine intelligence. The algorithm is to analyze laboratory tests and eliminates the needs of manual interpretation.
- This lab test software is helpful for both hospitals and patients to interpret their results in an easy way. Administrators provide information to physicians about various tests that are doing faster, better and cheaper in-house.
- This pathology lab reporting software is able to generate information. Also, can track records about your current health status and it can suggest the right diet plan. It can also suggest the right way to work with your healthcare provider and interpret your lab test values.
Harvard Disruptive Innovation Class of '18, MIT Sloan Business School Artificial Intelligence & Its Implications In Business.